Updated February 6, 2014.
Guided meditation is very popular with both new and experienced meditators. Do you often find yourself wondering what type of meditation is right for you? We encourage you to explore many options to find a practice (or combination of more than one) that suits you best.
You can try out some of our guided meditation audios at the end of this article.
As explained by Dr. Christopher Lloyd Clark on The Guided Meditation Site, guided meditations are popular alternatives to traditional meditation techniques because they require no previous training or effort to enjoy. Here are some of the points The Guided Meditation site highlights:
- Most traditional types of meditation require you to take command of your own awareness by concentrating your attention on a single point of focus.
- This point of focus might be your breathing, it might be a physical action, or more commonly, it may be on a mantra–a sound, word or phrase that you repeat to yourself mentally so as to stabilize your attention.
- While these powerful traditional meditation techniques are wonderful for achieving inner stillness and for enhancing your ability to concentrate, some people find them difficult to master.
- Even if you are someone who finds it extremely difficult to let go of thoughts, even if you are highly stressed or overloaded with mental activity, you will quickly achieve inner stillness and peace of mind when you listen to a great guided meditation.
You can read the full article here.
Experienced meditators also use guided meditations to help them deepen their own practice, sharpen their meditation skills, or to experience other meditation techniques. We can all learn from those who have developed their expertise in a meditative practice. Following a guided meditation allows us to let go of our thought patterns more easily and create room around our emotional experience more quickly. This helps both new and experienced meditators access a meditative state more easily.
Here are 5 different types of Guided Meditation you can try:
- Guided Meditation for Anxiety
- Guided Meditation for Health
- Guided Meditation for Peace & Joy
- Guided Meditation for Spiritual Growth
- Guided Meditation for Sleep
Have you tried following a guided meditation? Tell us about your experience using the comment box below!