Reclined Twist is great for beginners! This reclined pose has many benefits! It is so YUMMY for the spine and digestion. It is also a lovely way to release stress, tension and toxins from the body. This twist squeezes and stretches all the muscles and organs of the torso and even tones the core. Give it try and let me know what you think! This video is part of our Foundations of Yoga series.
Remember back when we used to go to the mall? Like to walk around and people watch? I would get a ride to the JC Penny entrance to meet friends, walk around, eat too much sugar and window shop. I remember when The Sharper Image came to town. It was always so much fun and restorative to go sit in those fancy massage chairs and take turns “chilling out” while avoiding eye contact with the employees. Even as a teenager I sought restorative moments. Time to take a chill pill and feel good. Now, I drop down and do reclined twist. (My, how I have evolved??) Even since shooting this little video for you I cannot seem to get enough of this pose. I just want to roll around and twist and shout every hour on the hour! We are entering that time of year where everything seems to be bustling with busy energy and excitement. Take a sneaky break from your Christmas shopping (metaphor!) and give yourself a moment in that fancy massage chair in the back of Sharper Image.
Take a second to experiment and experience a yoga pose. Lie down. Breathe. Twist. Massage your internal organs and allow the nervous system to restore and be happy. This pose has a diverse number of benefits. I can tell you that this asana has released all depression from my spine (broke my tailbone a couple years back) and has also improved my digestion by, oh, 100%. TMI? You’ll see…
Twists are life changing yoga postures. In my opinion. Twists offer an opportunity to go deeper while also detoxifying the body of that which is no longer serving you. Think of the body as a sponge. What have you been absorbing? What can you afford to shed and squeeze out in your twist? Wring it out! Create space for the things that you desire and want to manifest in the New Year.
Put on a song that makes you feel good. Use the duration of that song to experiment in the Reclined Twist. Great to slowly wake up the body in the morning and an awesome pose to practice after a long day or long weekend as it restores and brings balance to the bod. Let me know how it goes. (And let me know what song!)
- Great for digestive health
- Tones waistline
- Encourages fresh flow of blood to digestive organs, increasing digestive health and function of your whole digestive system.
- Can cure gastritis!
- Lengthens and realigns the spine, happy spine!
- Stretches back and booty muscles
- Strengthens abdominal muscles
- Massages abdominal organs
- Brings balance to body and can restore equilibrium in the nervous system
- Place blanket or pillow underneath legs
- Bring your knees closer into the chest to help relive sciatica
- For shoulder injury or if you experience any fussiness in shoulders lower arms in your “Texas T” and/or rest hands on ribcage.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: detox, Foundations of Yoga, yoga at home, yoga for a healthy back, yoga for beginners, yoga for healthy digestion, yoga for slim body, yoga for tone belly, yoga for weight loss